This section has some ideas for things you can do right now to help yourself get through the immediate crisis.
- Just try to get through today rather than focusing on the future.
- Talk through your feelings with someone you trust or a helpline.
- Contact a health professional such as your GP or Community Mental Health Team (CMHT).
- Try to do activities you enjoy which take your mind of distressing thoughts.
- If you are in real danger of taking your own life call emergency services on 999 or go to Accident and Emergency (A&E).
These pages cover:
- How you can help yourself right now
- Getting professional help
- Things you can do to make yourself feel better
- Getting support
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in July 2014. Next review July 2016.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm, not including bank holidays