This section tells you what personality disorders are, what the symptoms are, and how you can get treatment. You might find it useful if you have a personality disorder yourself, or if you care for someone who does.
- A personality disorder can affect how you cope with life, manage relationships, how you behave, and how you feel.
- There are different types of personality disorders.
- There is no single cause of personality disorder. It is likely to be a combination of reasons, including genetic and environmental causes.
- Talking therapies are recommended as treatment for personality disorders.
- You can have a personality disorder alongside other mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.
This section covers:
- What are personality disorders?
- What are the different types of personality disorder and how are they diagnosed?
- What causes personality disorders?
- How are personality disorders treated?
- What if I am not happy with my treatment?
- What risks and complications can personality disorders cause?
- Information for carers, friends and relatives
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in October 2016. Next review October 2019.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays