Staying well with bipolar.
What’s the best way to stay well when you have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder?
Staying well with bipolar is a guide based on the research conducted by Rethink Mental Illness. It is based on the personal experiences and learning of 32 people: 5 service user researchers, 16 people with bipolar disorder and 11 other people who have an informal supportive role (carers, family and friends).
Based on our research, we found 7 key things:
- Spotting early warning signs
- Looking after your wellbeing
- Being in control
- Doing what works for you
- Making decisions about medication
- Talking to people who really listen
- Getting support from family and friends
We interviewed 16 people with bipolar disorder and 11 other people who have an informal supportive role (carers, family and friends).
- What was helpful and unhelpful when ‘up’ or ‘down’?
- What support was received?
- Who gave the support?
- What support would be ideal in either situation?